Principle 11 of Ian Roberts' book Creative Authenticity is entitled "Working Method." Roberts rambles a bit in this chapter, but eventually arrives at a few useful pieces of advice that I'll simplify:
- Impose a foundation for your work before you begin painting.
- Put meaning into your work.
- Give your work your full attention.
- Don't be sloppy, lazy, or hurried - it will all show.
- Love your process - that will show, too.
- Evaluate your work as objectively as possible.
- Practice, practice, practice.
I guess what Roberts is telling us is that WHAT we do is important, but HOW we do it is equally important. Perhaps, as we set goals for 2010 it might be good to add to our lists not only WHAT we want to accomplish (the goals) but HOW we want to accomplish.