The Laws of Nature

Friday, February 5, 2010

Art Without Compromise


I love museum stores, and especially the one at the Clark Museum that Carolyn and I visited a couple of days ago. They have a wonderful selection of books and, of course, I can't leave without purchasing at least one! My choice this time is a book entitled Art Without Compromise by Wendy Richmond, 2009. The description on the back cover enticed me:


Art without compromise will inspire artists to change the way they think aobut their creative landscapes, from personal goals to cultural influences to technological realities. Author Wendy Richmond helps artists to look closely at what they see every day, both in their own art-making and in the world around them. Readers will learn to develop an uncompromising commitment to finding and protecting their own unique process for making their strongest art.


OK - I'm hooked. This is the book I'll be reviewing over the next few weeks. A quick peek inside the covers reveals fascinating topics that are worthy of discussion. I hope you'll be interested as well. And, if the author is reading this blog (which seems to be more common that I previously realized) I hope she'll join our discussion.


According to the description, this book considers the following topics:
  • understanding the artist's unique indentity in relation to the larger culture

  • building systems of support and collaboration

  • explaining how an artist's needs can lead to innovation and authenticity

  • responding to the Internet and changing concepts of what is public and private

  • accepting digression as a creative necessity

Sounds good to me. In my next post I'll start with Chapter 1. Stay tuned ....

15 comments:

M said...

Sounds good to me too. Like you I always have to buy a book. I look forward to more hefty discussion.

I will get to see the various museums in Boston as part of my big artist trip in April. Can't wait. I'm getting the details finalized. What posts I'll have after that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, Oh, I'd be hooked with the description on the back too! I look forward to the discussion!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Kathy, just wanted to tell you how amazing I think you are. You post every day and manage to get around to everyone's blog and post a comment. Not to mention your own personal work.

This book looks very interesting, indeed. I am looking forward to the discussion.

Unknown said...

Hi Margaret - There are some great museums in Boston, so I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Hi Peggy - great! I'll look forward to your comments.

Hi Myrna - you are too generous! Thank you for your kind support. I'm a HUGE fan of your blog and work.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I think I'll like the digression part.

Carolyn Abrams said...

In keeping with our conversations i just had to post this video link. It is absolutely the most amazing art video i have ever seen and i thought you would all enjoy seeing this.

click on the link below -

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vOhf3OvRXKg


This video shows the winner of " Ukraine’s Got Talent", Kseniya Simonova, 24, drawing a series of pictures on an illuminated sand table showing how ordinary people were affected by the German invasion during World War II. Her talent, which admittedly is a strange one, is mesmeric to watch.

The images, projected onto a large screen, moved many in the audience to tears and she won the top prize of about £75,000.

She begins by creating a scene showing a couple sitting holding hands on a bench under a starry sky, but then warplanes appear and the happy scene is obliterated.

It is replaced by a woman’s face crying, but then a baby arrives and the woman smiles again. Once again war returns and Miss Simonova throws the sand into chaos from which a young woman’s face appears.

She quickly becomes an old widow, her face wrinkled and sad, before the image turns into a monument to an Unknown Soldier.

This outdoor scene becomes framed by a window as if the viewer is looking out on the monument from within a house.

In the final scene, a mother and child appear inside and a man standing outside, with his hands pressed against the glass, saying goodbye.

The Great Patriotic War, as it is called in Ukraine , resulted in one in four of the population being killed with eight to 11 million deaths out of a population of 42 million.


Kseniya Simonova says:
"I find it difficult enough to create art using paper and pencils or paintbrushes, but using sand and fingers is beyond me.. The art, especially when the war is used as the subject matter, even brings some audience members to tears.. And there’s surely no bigger compliment."

Enjoy!

-Don said...

Kathy... You are a tease... and a great marketing genius. I'll be back to read more... I have no choice now. -Don

Mary Paquet said...

I can't wait to hear about this book. Great choice!

Stan Kurth said...

I'm looking forward to the discussion on this one. Tomorrow I'm heading to the Phoenix Art Museum. I've had this planned for a few weeks. Bank of America offers free admission to many museums across the country for Bank of America card holders on the first weekend of each month. And yes I'll be in their store looking around and if they have the book I just might nab it even though I've got a stack on my desk and night stand in various stages of completion.

You can check out the Bank of America deal here: Free Art Museum Admissions

Unknown said...

Hi Hallie - :-))

Hi Carolyn - Yes, this is a great video! Well worth viewing. Thanks.

Hi Don - I'll have to find a way to use my "marketing genius" to sell more paintings! (ha ha) Stay tuned...

Hi Mary - I can't wait to get started. Usually I write the blog as I read, and rarely read ahead. Looking forward to Chapter 1.

Hi Stan - Great tip!!! I'll look into this and thanks for posting it for my readers. Have a great time at the museum. Are they having a special exhibit?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another wonderful book Kathy!! Looking forward to it.

Dan Kent said...

Oh boy - I am grabbing the popcorn!

Stan Kurth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stan Kurth said...

Current Exhibitions at the Phoenix Art Museum:

Geoffrey Beene: Trapeze
Ellman Fashion Design Gallery
November 7, 2009 – March 7, 2010

Ansel Adams: Discoveries
Steele Gallery
January 31, 2010 – June 6, 2010

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing what they have hanging from their collection though. Also I never miss the Mexican Art Gallery with one of my favorite paintings by Rufino Tamayo.

Unknown said...

Hi Pam - me, too!

Hi Dan - save some of that popcorn for me :)

Hi Stan - the special exhibits sound wonderful!! Thanks so much for posting them. I don't know anything about the permanent collection since I've never visited the museum, but I'll look online. Thank you!