The Laws of Nature

Monday, October 11, 2010

The View From the Studio Door


The View From the Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way in an Uncertain World
by Ted Orland (2006)

It’s time to begin a new book, and I found this one by Ted Orland who co-authored Art & Fear, a book we discussed here earlier.
The central questions that are answered, or at least discussed, in this book are:

What are we really doing when we make art?
What role (if any) does the artist have in our society?
How do we find our place in the artistic community?

These are essential questions and I can’t wait to see how Orland answers them. In the author’s own words: This is a book about the nature of artmaking. More precisely, it’s about the nature of artmaking as seen from the artist’s perspective – drawn from life and seasoned with experiences in a real world. It is, in essence, the view from my studio door.”

Orland intends to provide us with a practical philosophy of artmaking – something to help us navigate our world. He feels that for artists, theory and practice are always intertwined. I agree, and think that the conversational style of this book will stimulate our conversation on this blog. I hope you’ll join me.
Tomorrow: chapter 1.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to it Kathy! Thanks.

-Don said...

Great tease. See you tomorrow.

-Don

Anonymous said...

OH BOY! I like Ted Orland's writing style. I look forward to discussions about this book. Stimulating as always!

M said...

Just what I need for my introspective period - which seems to be all the time!

Robin said...

I have this book and might just dust it off and read along:)

hw (hallie) farber said...

I look forward to this. Ann Truitt's Daybook has stuck with me for many years.

Dan Kent said...

I am very excited about this one that I have not read, as I was blown away when I read "Art & Fear"! I am pretty sure that it was the discussion in that book that made me pick up the pen and the brush after decades. All three questions seem very relevant to where I am right now, and I am sure Orland's take will be very well thought-out. Good choice!

And re Don's comment about the "tease": this talent should come naturally to Miss December, I would think.

Celeste Bergin said...

cool! I'll be tuned in!

Unknown said...

HI ALL - thanks :-) Read on ...